2.21.2011

My Money Saving Project

So, are you wondering what my moneysaving project was this weekend???

I did some research and found a GREAT, AWESOME, recipe and directions on....

HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT

I absolutely LOVE the detergent. I have an HE washer and it works great if not better!!!

The recipe I used was The Duggar's recipe site

Here is the recipe from their site!



Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar or Ivory barsoap
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water.

Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled.

Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

So, how much did this cost to make? Well, the items I bought will make MANY 5 gallon buckets, so keep that in mind.

You can now buy ALL the ingredients at Walmart.  When I first purchased this they didn't carry everything, I think Schnucks has the ingredients too!!


WALMART: Borax $2.98

ACE Hardware: Arm & Hammer Super Washing Sode $3.79
Fel Naptha Bar Soap $1.49

So, I spent a total of $8.26.
As you see from the recipe above I only used 1/2 c of the Borax and it comes in a HUGE box. So, that will last FOREVER. The Washing soda is in a big box also and I only used 1 cup of it.

I had Ivory bar soap I could have used but I went ahead and tried the Fel Naptha Bar soap. Doesn't really matter which one I use, next time I will probably just use Ivory, since I already have it!

So, on average for the FRONT LOADING machine your cost is a penny a load!

If you want to add oils to your detergent, you can get it at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 each
There are MANY MANY flavors!!

I really love making my own detergent! It took about 10 minutes total to make!!

Here is another version using powder form...

Powdered Laundry Detergent - Top load machine
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax
-Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon.
For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent.
(Approx. 40 loads)

The liquid form I feel is the BEST deal!! So, let me know your thoughts on Homemade Laundry Detergent!!!

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I have been using this recipe for about 9 months now. I LOVE IT! I had a coupon for the washing soda so that made it even cheaper. If I have clothes that are extra dirty I will use a little Clorox 2. Instead of adding scent to the detergent I just use about 1/2 the recommended amount of liquid fabric softener to help with static and give a pleasing scent. I also do not dilute my detergent--I just use 1/2 as much and pour it under the running water in the washer before adding my clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your blog, have recommended your site to several of my friends. I've been making and using a similar recipe for about 2 years and have saved tons of money!There is something very gratifying about finding ways to save money! I also make my household cleaners.I've posted some of my favorite "recipes" on my blog www.delightsncouponing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used this soap for over 1 year with good results. I have passed this recipe on to many of my friends and they all like it. I do not add fragrance since I buy everything unscented. Does anyone have the recipe for dishwasher detergent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this! Just in time too, I am almost out of laundry detergent. I would also love to have a dishwasher detergent recipe! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanie,
    I just saw the recipe for that today on a blog. Visit http://www.breezyacresfarm.blogspot.com
    and she just posted it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 cups Borax

    4 cups baking soda

    4 cups washing soda

    4 cups Fels-Naptha bar soap (almost 2 bars)

    I found the recipe above at the site below.

    http://www.greatoakcircle.com/homemade-laundry-detergent

    I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference in the proportions. One has more bar soap in relationship to the borax, etc. (I am using the powdered recipe.) Thank you. Chemistry wasn't my best subject in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally use the liquid version of this recipe and so far it has save me almost $30.00 this year alone from not having to purchase laundry detergent. I love it. Although I still by the regular bleach for bleaching my whites onces a week or so. But I love this money saving idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Amy!! I've been considering doing this for a while! It sounds very easy to do, so I'll probably be trying it soon! I was looking the other day for essential oils for another craft project and they actually are beginning to carry lots of them in the floral dept. at our Walmart here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I know you have kids, so how well does this recipe work on kid stains (spaghetti sauce, pizza, chocolate, etc.)??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 3 children who attract dirt and grime! I've been using this (powder form) for over 2 months and I love it. I spent less than $10 on the supplies and just now ran out of bar soap. I have enough Borax and Washing soda to last for many months. The detergent gets out stains, for the most part. I have used Oxy spray and super bad stains, though. Bottom line, I was saving money within the first 2 wks and the clothes come out clean...win/win!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this recipe tonight (then came on here to see if u had a different recipe) U can use up to 90 drops of essential oils (not fragrant oil)/ 5 gal bucket. I'm trying 30 drops each lavender, lemon, and grapefruit (deodorizing and antibacterial). I also made a batch that called for twice the amount of soap and half the amount of water. Having my fiancee try out both kinds on his greasy, filthy work clothes to see whick works best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. k, mine didn't seem to gel overnight. I do something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, was wondering are the recipes good for HE washers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was Wondering if you could use Other Bar Soaps? Like left overs that have been saved? I learned to use the slivers to make the Homemade Hand Soap. You just stick the slivers in a Large Canning Jar, add distilled water and let sit till gelled then mix. You have to mix every time before use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mine didnt gel.. What did i do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  16. any recipes for fabric softner ?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm new to this. Where would I find Borax and the washing soda at Walmart. Is it with the laundry stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome! It's so much cheaper to make your own detergent! I didn't realize it was so easy. Thanks!

    Ron Johnson | http://www.harcoco.com/productsmain.php?pageID=4&prod=9

    ReplyDelete