4.27.2011

Apple Pie Jelly

I know many of you are interested in the jelly I make from the juice I get from coupons!
My first recipe I am going to share is Apple Pie Jelly!  It seems we can get Old Orchard Juice cheap or even FREE, so I use my extra Apple Juice for this great recipe!  Very simple, this was my 1st jelly I ever made!  Then I graduated to jams and apple butter!

Now I do make lots of jams from REAL fruit, like apple jam ( my grandma has an awesome apple tree, we just planted our fruit trees this spring so they won't be ready for a couple of years), peach jam, peach jam is really really good. I also make strawberry freezer jam. This is super easy, there is no cooking at all. I also make my own applesauce and cinnamin applesauce. Peaches canned in light syrup is great too!!!


Here is this awesome Apple pie jelly recipe. It is from Recipezaar. This my husband's FAVORITE jelly now.


1¼ hours 5 min prep


6 1/2 pint
4 cups apple juice(bottled)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (pure) ( this is expensive but the bottle will last a very long time)
5 cups sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 3/4 ounces dry pectin
Place apple juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg in a heavy saucepan.
Add the pectin and bring to a hard boil over high heat until it dissolves into the juice.


Slowly stir in the sugar and bring back to a rolling boil over high heat. Boil for one full minute (I still prefer 220 degrees on the candy thermometer!).


Remove from heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
Pour into jars (about 12 1/4 pint jars, or 6 1/2 pints), put on lids and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
I didn't use a candy thermometer and it turned out great. I have made many many batches of this jelly and plan on restocking some this weekend. I don't always put my jelly in jelly jars. Since we go through it so quickly I put some of my in pint jars.



I will be posting my grape jelly recipe soon!!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make it! I am all over this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try your jelly recipe! I have been making jelly and jam for my family for years and they feel put upon if they have to eat "store bought" jam. I do have a suggestion to cut down on the foaming. If you will add just about a tsp of butter to the mixture it won't foam as much.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete