2.22.2010

Money Saving Tips

This Week's Money Saving TIP...

With spring right around the corner, my garden has been on my mind.

A Garden can save you soooo much money and the fresh veggies are so much better than the store veggies. If this is your first year for a garden, start small. You could get overwhelmed by trying a BIG garden for the first year.

This will be my 2nd year having a garden and we are doubling the size. I LOVE having a garden. My daughter loves it just as much as me. We love planting, picking and then canning.

Some people think canning is hard. But you know, last year was the first year I canned and it is soooo easy. I canned everything.... Salsa, greenbeans, apple pie filling, peaches, pickles, jelly, jams, deer meat(i canned this, this winter) etc. It is great to open up a jar of the veggie or fruits you canned last summer. I have a great place in our basement I store all of the jars.

So this spring I will start posting on how to can fruits and veggies. You will be sooo proud when you have all of those jars filled with things you grew!!!

So think about having a garden and what you want to grow. What are you thinking about growing?
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! It's been a few years since I planted a garden, but the other day I opened a can of Green Tomato Chow Chow that was probably canned in 2000 and it was still delicious! I used a spoon to remove the top layer that gets a metallic taste from the lid and the rest of it was great.

    I like to plant what I know we can use. Usually we plant cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, eggplant, & okra. I'd like to try some lettuces this year since I eat a lot of salads.

    Just talking about it makes me excited! :)

    ReplyDelete