9.23.2010

Are you Prepared for a natural disaster????

Are you Prepared for a Natural Disaster? Could you survive at your home?

Those are a couple of interesting questions. I know 3 years ago when we had the major ice storm, I know we were NOT prepared for no power, trees covering roads etc...

There was only 3 ways for us to get to town and each of those ways had trees blocking the roads. Our power had been out since the night before and it was COLD!!!

My dad cleared the road with the farm tractor so we could get to town to my in - laws.

Were we prepared??? No we were not and I plan on being prepared for ANYTHING like that again. I want to be able to survive at my home for weeks if need be.

So this is going to be a series on preparing for a disaster.
We are going to use coupons to help us stockup and get our disaster kits done and finished!!

I didn't realize we needed soooo much for our kit.
I have 6 people in my family and I need 1 gallon of water per person per day for 2 weeks. That is 84 GALLONS of water. Yes, we do have some but I know we don't have that much.

So, I am going to list the things we need and each week we are going to watch for sales and coupons to get our emergency kits done!

* WATER - one gallon per person, per day
* Food - nonperishable, easy to prepare items. Canned food etc....
* Flashlights - I think EVERYONE in the household needs one.
* Battery powered radio or a Weather Radio
* Extra batteries - you need to trade out batteries every 6 months. (it would be bad to have a disaster and the batteries were old )
* First Aid Kit - bandaids, bandaids, bandaids.
* Medications and medical items
* Mutilpurpose tool
* Sanitation and Personal Hygiene items
* Copies of personal documents ( proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies etc...
* Cell phone with chargers
* Family and emergency contact numbers
* Extra Cash
* Emergency Blanket
* Pet items
* Baby Supplies
* Manuel Can Opener
* Whistle
* Matches
* Rain Gear
* Towels
* Work Gloves
* Extra Clothing
* Duct Tape
* Scissors
* Household Liquid Bleach ( just plain bleach)
* Entertainment Items
* Blankets/ Sleeping Bags

And there is soooo much more. I will be adding some each week. Give me some ideas and thoughts. Are we prepared???? If you have a emergency kit tell us about it.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment